Potato, Asparagus and Beans Creamy Soup

0 comments
Asparagus is in season and they've got deals all over town! So, for Meatless Monday this week, I wanted to prepare a creamy asparagus soup but wanted to make sure to incorporate some proteins - enter the beans. Those of you who've been reading the blog will know that I'm not a big fan of beans. So while I was a little reluctant to incorporate the beans into this soup, I still took the chance - and it turned out great!

This soup is great to use as an appetizer or even for a main course!

Ingredients (yielding 4 large portions):

  • 6 russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
  • 16 stalks of asparagus (or about half a bunch), chopped
  • 1 large can of white beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 tsp of dry thyme
  • 1 tsp of ground ginger
  • 2 cups of chicken broth (I know, I know...I just didn't have vegetable broth. Feel free to substitute)
  • 1.5 cups of water
  • 2/3 cups of milk
  • salt and pepper to taste
Method:
  1. Boil your potatoes, asparagus and beans into your broth and water over high heat until the potatoes are tender and ready (about 20 minutes or so)
  2. About midway through the boiling process, add your thyme and ginger
  3. Remove your pot from heat and blend your veggies and beans mixture. (I used my magic bullet, so I had to do it in several portions)
  4. Once your mixture is all blended, pour back into your pot on low heat and add the milk, salt and pepper. Let simmer for 10-15 minutes.
Voila! :) I must admit it turned out a little more bean-y than expected. Perhaps I would only put either half or 3/4 of the can next time, but that's just my personal  taste.

Enjoy!

- CK
If you like this post, please share it!
Digg it StumbleUpon del.icio.us Google Yahoo! reddit

No Response to "Potato, Asparagus and Beans Creamy Soup"

Post a Comment